Friday, June 4, 2010

Colossal Batch of Oatmeal Cookies

Chewy cookies are my favorite!!!! This recipe makes ALOT...hence the name "Colossal". But, I wanted to make a big batch so that I could freeze some to make later. Worked out great!!!




Colossal Batch of Oatmeal Cookies
submitted by Camille
(adapted from Taste of Home magazine)

2 cups butter, softened
3/4 cup butter flavored shortening
3 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/4 cups white sugar
5 eggs
2/3 cups buttermilk
4 tsp. vanilla
6 cups oats
5 3/4 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg. (10-11oz) butterscotch chips
1 pkg. (10-11oz) chocolate chips

In a very large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla.
Combine the oats, flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chips. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 inch apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
Bake at 375 degree's for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.

(I only baked about half of this, and then froze the rest of the cookie dough for another time. It froze wonderfully, and the cookies I made later still came out great!!!)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Those look really good! I might just make these for FHE tomorrow night. YUM.